It’s been a few years since we last attended the Property Investor & Home Buyers Show. Before attending we ear marked seminars we wished to attend and key exhibitors we wanting to connect with during the show.
The show is a 2-day event with investors tending to visit on the Friday whereas Saturday is open to the public at large… Unlike previous years the when show had exclusive use of the Excel it’s reduced size meant other events were taking place at the same time (such as The Cake a& Bake Show, BDIA Dental Show & Magic: The Gathering London GP 2016).
Property Investor Seminars
There was a total of 45 seminars on the first day between 10:30am and 5pm and as we had a lot of people to see in between time we had to be selective. As the high court threw out the high court case lead by Cherie Blair regarding section 24 the day before a few of the hot seminars on tax planning became irrelevant unfortunately (BTL Limited company incorporation).
Landlord Legislation Update – David Cox (ARLA Managing Director)
This was a very insightful presentation going through all the current and proposed future changes in regards to property lettings and sales. Here are some of the key points:
- Legal responsibilities for gas safety for landlords
- Right to rent immigration checks for landlords, agents and sub-lettings
- Changes to section 21 notices
- Regulations for the installation of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms for landlords
- Stamp duty and capital gains tax will be payable with 30 days of completion from autumn 2017
- Landlords with abandoned properties will no longer have to take tenants to court to gain possession from autumn 2017
Probably the best presentation of the day with copious amounts of useful property legislation information.
Gaining the upper hand in the auction room – David Sandeman (EIG)
Here are some of the key points:
- Searching auctions
- Buying at auctions
- Selling at auctions
Presentation contained a few useful auction hints and tips.
Solving the property puzzle – Jill Fielding (Fielding Financial)
Formerly of BBCs secret millionaire, Jill gave her insight into courses on investing in property in the current climate from sourcing property to financing the purchase to refurbishment to sale or letting. Here are some of the key points:
- Understanding property investing from BTL through to commercial property
- Advanced tax, legal agreements
- Student housing and lease options (control of property without the ownership)
Good presentation with a sales pitch at the end…
Property Investor Exhibitors
There were over 100 exhibitors at the show with most many official bodies such as NLA, RLA, ARLA, NAEA, TDS. No sign of Rightmove or Zoopla, but on the whole most exhibitors were estate agents, letting agents, auctioneers, finance with odd service providers offering portfolio building.
Overall we had a good day, met some new contacts as well as familiar faces and received valuable updates on property legislation (which is constantly changing) from official recognised property organisations. We will definitely be attending future shows.